In conformity to the creation of the Commission on Audit under the 1973 Philippine Constitution, COA Office in Region XI, then known as Davao Province, was established in 1975. Atty. Fausto P. Dela Cerna headed the Office from November 17, 1975 to April 15, 1977 followed by Mr. Sotero B. Escandor, Jr., C.P.A., from April 16, 1977 to October 31, 1978.
In June 11, 1978, P.D. 1445 or the Government Auditing Code of the Philippines was enacted creating the regional office and making the Regional Director as head of the Office; the Law was effective three months after its publication in the Official Gazette. Ms. Corazon C. Chavez, C.P.A, was the Regional Director from November 11, 1978 to October 21, 1980.
There were changes in the audit jurisdiction as years passed. One of its auditees, the LGU of Surigao del Sur was moved to the newly created region Caraga on February 23, 1995.
Region XI, then known as Southern Mindanao, originally covered 6 provinces (Compostela Valley, Davao del Norte, Davao del Sur, Davao Oriental, South Cotabato and Sarangani), and the cities of Davao, Digos, Panabo, Tagum, Samal, General Santos and Koronadal. On September 2001, Executive Order No. 36 was enacted which reorganized the regions in Mindanao. Region XI, then known as Southern Mindanao, was renamed Davao Region, and the provinces of South Cotabato and Sarangani, and the cities of General Santos and Koronadal were moved to Region XII, including the audit of the LGU concerned.
All these years, the men and women of COA Regional Office XI has remained committed to COAs mandated function to safeguard scarce government resources from losses and wastage and to render efficient and effective auditing services to their clientele.